August has been a hot month in Southern Orange County. The temperatures mid-day range from 88 to 102 degrees consistently. For those of us that want to keep our workout schedules intact but don’t want to suffer from the deadly rage of the sun kissing our heads below are a few techniques I have been using to keep me on track.
1. Drink water all day long and avoid soda - I find myself hydrating all day at the office in order to prepare for my after work, workouts. If you start drinking water 1 hour before your workout time, you are probably waiting too long.
2. Change up your workout times - Often it is 20 degrees cooler in the morning. By waking up 1 hour earlier you can beat the heat and give yourself a charge for the rest of the day. Getting up at 5:30 am for Master Swim is brutal but I feel incredible for the rest of the day. The double that I add to my mocha helps a little also.
3. Drink something different than water during your workouts - I never ride or run with just water anymore. An advanced sports drink is highly recommend. Motor Tabs is probably the best product on the market. I use this product daily and have found it to provide my body with exactly what I need.
4. Take it easy and listen to your body - If you must ride or run during peak heat times of the day, pull back a little on your intensity and listen to what your body is telling you. When I left for my ride this morning at 8:30 am it was already 90 degrees outside. My original plan was to do double the distance I had planned but opted out because of the heat. It wasn’t worth it to push it today.
5. Get in the pool - Swimming is the most challenging sport that I have ever done. Change up one of your work out’s this week with 20 minutes in the pool. Don’t worry about distance your first few times in the pool, focus on your form.
6. Drink every 15 minutes – I have heard all different opinions on this. From my experience taking a sip of your favorite sports beverage during your workout every 15 minutes is a really good thing to keep yourself going.
Personally, I can’t wait until the summer is over. I want to wear my new Patagonia wind breakers!